Our friends at the Museum of Modern Mythology and Pop Culture just ran a great coverage of the recent Los Angeles Vintage Paperback Collectors Show, attended by Richard and Pat Lupoff, Scott Tracy Griffin, and Phillip R. Burger, and David Lemmo. It looks like a great event, and you can read the full coverage here! Some great pictures below:
Dum Dum is the annual meeting of the Burroughs Biibliophiles, the ERB Fan Club organized in 1960 as a non-profit charitable organization to further the writings and legacy of ERB. The name comes from the meeting call of the apes in the jungle who would pound the earth: dum dum, dum dum
Hosted by Brad and Pat Vinson
Location: LaSalle hotel in downtown Bryan, Texas
* LaSalle is a recently restored 100-year-old hotel with good free parking
* Large basement room for displays
* Bryan First Friday Celebrations:
diversity of foods as well as live music, and art galleries and shops in a 3 block area.
* Vinson barbecue on Saturday with viewing of the Vinson art collection
* Texas A & M University in College Station is five miles away
* Bush Library is 20 minutes away
* Star of Texas Museum (where Texas declared independence from Mexico) is 40 minutes away
* Guests of Honour and other events will be announced later
Room rates and other activities will be determined by the number
If you plan to attend, please contact Brad Vinson:
To register at the LaSalle Hotel, 120 S. Main St. Bryan, TX
for the $90 special rate you need to call 979-822-2000
and mention DumDum to get this rate as long as rooms are available
but only by June 30.
THURSDAY: July 31
* Registration at the LaSalle Hotel, 120 S. Main St. Bryan – hotel lobby
* Cost is $45 for registrants and $15 for spouse (barbeque).
* To receive registration packet please pay Brad Vinson, 921 N. Rosemary Dr. Bryan 77802.
* Tables are included in the registration fee.
6:00 pm: Greet and meet in hotel restaurant to decide to eat there or visit other dining choices. Information will be in registration packet.
8:30: Burroughs Bibliophile Board meeting in the board room located in the basement of the hotel.
* Set up for the Huckster room is at the same location (adjoining room) and can be done at this time.
* Procedure is to get the key from the front desk and return it there. Future meeting sites will be given.
FRIDAY: August 1
* Hot breakfast served until 9am
9:00 am: Huckster room opens for business 9-5 (closed at noon hour) Setup can be done earlier that morning.
* Opening presentation by Buddy Saunders about the new ERB book/Buddy Saunders book, “The Martian Legions: The Quest for Xonthron”, published by Russ Cochran.
12 noon: Closed for lunch Visit art galleries
1:30: Presentation of “The Passing of My Pal Bill” of ERB’s western poem from The Bandit of Helll’s Bend.
4:00: Auction benefiting Burroughs Bibliophiles.
5:30/6:00: Dinner on your own
SATURDAY: August 2
9:00 am: Hot breakfast buffet closes
9:30: Leave for Texas A&M campus.
* We have scheduled a visit to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Collection at Cushing Memorial Library and Archives.
* Larry Mitchell, the director will open especially for our group. Jeremy Brett will do the tour. An extensive exhibit on World War I can be seen in the lobby and 2nd floor.
* Lunch on your own- on campus/ recommend the many restaurants along University Dr. E afterwards
2:00: Visit Brad’s collection-directions given that morning with transportation arranged.
5:00: Texas barbeque at the home of Brad and Pat Vinson. Seating for 42+.
SUNDAY: August 3
* Farewell breakfast- LaSalle breakfast buffet